Jewish Jesus
This article was found again on the CNN website, see some
consistency here. The topic today is
about Jews reclaiming Jesus as an important element in their Judaism. For centuries Jews were sceptical of Jesus
because other religions believe Jesus to have a divinity, whereas the Jews do
not. That is why in some ways they did
not want anything to do with Jesus, and they dismissed him quite a bit from
their teaching. This generation of Jews
however want to be better equated with Jesus because they see him as a good
example to look at, as Jesus himself was a Jew.
They will not however still accept Jesus deity like Christians do. A simple way to explain what Christians
believe Jesus to be is this: teacher, healer, and savior (son of God). What the Jews believe is that Jesus was a
teacher and a healer but not savior.
What really
stood out to me when I was reading this article was when this woman, Levine mentioned that it is important to know
what you believe about the religion you claim to be yours. She said you owe it to people out of respect
when you put that kind of religious label on yourself. It is true for Christians as well, when we
call ourselves Christians we need to know about what we claim, we need to know
Christ! Not just know a little about him
but know his words, his actions, his commandments for us. So if anyone asks about what we believe we
won’t be stumbling for words but we will know what to say. I think this is especially true if we are
going to wear something like a Jesus shirt.
Actually the other day I saw a group of people in a museum wearing
shirts that said, “You Need Jesus”. Well
I think that we don’t need to wear a shirt to say that because it’s almost like
we are telling people this but we don’t care enough to just talk to them about
it (I hope that was at least part of the intent). But yes we can’t just wear a t-shirt and hope
we did our job on telling people about Jesus.
No I think that shirt doesn’t tell us much about Jesus at all.
Link: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/05/jews-reclaim-jesus-as-one-of-their-own/?iref=allsearch
Link: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/05/jews-reclaim-jesus-as-one-of-their-own/?iref=allsearch
No comments:
Post a Comment